Sunday, July 19, 2009

Lake Powell Preshow - Charles Hall Ferry

I wasn't going to post about this since we were getting on the lake the next day for a whole week but Ethan and Ally thought this was one of the greatest things we have ever down so I decided to document it.

Javan's sister Bayley has an RV Rental business (Arches RV Rental) and she occasionally rents our camp trailer out so we can make a little money on it when we're not using it. Some renters had the trailer down at Bullfrog for a week and we had to go pick it up. It's much faster for us to drive to Hall's Crossing and ferry across to Bullfrog and we thought the kids might get a kick out of riding the ferry. Boy were we right.

We got to the ferry loading ramp about 30 minutes early and could see the ferry coming across the channel from Bullfrog. It docked but then we had to wait until 2:00 on the hour to load. It was quite a long wait for those little kids. We passed the time by skipping some rocks in the water and eating our picnic lunch.

We finally got to drive onto the ferry, we were the first ones to load. This was quite exciting. Ethan and Ally couldn't believe how many cars could fit on the ferry. I think there were only 6 or 7 that got on. I told them it could fit at least 13 and they were amazed. I remember as a little girl when we were down at the lake counting how many cars got on and off the ferry.


Once we were on the ferry they couldn't wait to get out of the truck to check it out. When the ferry started to pull away Javan pretended that he was driving it. Since we were right there in front it really looked like he was, he had Ethan and Ally fooled for a few minutes.

Me and the kids riding the ferry.


Javan and the kids looking over the edge watching the water.


Getting ready to off-load from the ferry. This was also pretty exciting because we were the first ones off and got to watch for a minute the other cars getting off.


We didn't ride the ferry back on the way home because when you pull a trailer on the ferry you have to pay by the foot of how long you are, which adds up in a hurry. Plus we didn't want to wait 2 hours for it to come back. So we drove around the long way. It's about 1-1 1/2 hours longer.

We stopped at Hite on the way home to take a dip in the water. Hite is where the river comes into the lake so it is pretty cold and also has a pretty strong current so we couldn't let the kids get too far out of our reach.


Just an interesting side note. The people that rented our camp trailer were out tubing and having a good time when they got hit/t-boned by another boat. The boat that hit them went completely over the other boat. The driver, our renter, was thrown about 50 feet. Their boat sank and he was life flighted out. I guess he was complaining of back pain and they just wanted to be safe. The other boat was also pulling a tube and one of his riders fell out so he was looking back and turning around to go pick up his rider when he hit the other boat. Thank heavens no one was seriously injured. I keep wondering what happened to all the kids on the tubes when all of this was happening. So scary.

2 comments:

Shalisa Hazleton said...

Wow that is scary. So you have been to lake powell every year huh? I have never been.

Andrea said...

What a cute story. I can see my kids thinking that was pretty great too. I loved the pictures of lake powell. what fun times! I have great memories of going to lake powell with your family. You have such a great family. It looks like you have quite a few more fun water toys than you used to.